Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc.
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity was founded at Howard University in Washington, D.C., January 9, 1914, by three young African-American male students. The Founders, Honorable A. Langston Taylor, Honorable Leonard F. Morse, and Honorable Charles I. Brown, wanted to organize a Greek letter fraternity that would truly exemplify the ideals of brotherhood, scholarship, and service.
The Founders deeply wished to create an organization that viewed itself as “a part of” the general community rather than “apart from” the general community. They believed that each potential member should be judged by his own merits, rather than his family background or affluence…without regard to race, nationality, skin tone or texture of hair. They desired for their fraternity to exist as part of an even greater brotherhood which would be devoted to the “inclusive we” rather than the “exclusive we”.
From its inception, the Founders also conceived Phi Beta Sigma as a mechanism to deliver services to the general community. Rather than gaining skills to be utilized exclusively for themselves and their immediate families, they held a deep conviction that they should return their newly acquired skills to the communities from which they had come. This deep conviction was mirrored in the Fraternity’s motto, “Culture For Service and Service For Humanity”.
Today, Phi Beta Sigma has blossomed into an international organization of leaders. No longer a single entity, members of the Fraternity have been instrumental in the establishment of the Phi Beta Sigma National Foundation, the Phi Beta Sigma Federal Credit Union and The Sigma Beta Club Foundation. Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, founded in 1920 with the assistance of Phi Beta Sigma, is the sister organization of the Fraternity.
The History of Delta Omicron Sigma
The Delta Omicron Sigma, St. Petersburg Alumni Chapter
For years, brothers who resided in the Pinellas County area traveled to Tampa, FL to attend chapter meetings with the members of Gamma Eta Sigma. After many trips across the bridge, brothers assembled and presented the idea of chartering a new chapter on the other side of the Howard Franklin.
The Delta Omicron Sigma Chapter of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. was chartered on November 14, 1963 at Saint Petersburg Junior College/Gibbs Campus in St. Petersburg, FL.
Charter members were as follows:
Fred G. Minnis: Distinguished Service chapter member, Former Attorney & Community Activist
Louis D. Brown Sr: Former Chapter President & Principal of Wildwood Elementary.
O’Cain Thumbtzen: Former Chapter President & Principal of Union Academy.
Alvie Benton: Former Chapter Vice President & Assistant Principal at Gibbs High School.
Lawrence Lindsay: Former Chapter Secretary & Gibbs High School teacher.
Samuel Kicklighter: Former Chapter Historian & Pinellas County educator.
Joseph Johnson: 1st Black Pinellas County referee & School Administrator
Charles Ford: Former Vocational Teacher at 16th Street Middle School & Architect
Latas Edwards: Former Educator & Author
Fred D. Burney: Former Pinellas County School Administrator
Rudolph Miller: Former Educator
Kenneth Valentine: Former Educator at 16th Street Middle School.
Delta Omicron Sigma has initiated over 20 lines of brothers. The Chapter boast of being home to two former Florida State Directors: Thomas “Jet” Jackson and Louis “Lou” Brown Jr.